TDA2030A Amplifier circuit used in home theaters
TDA2030A is a well used class AB audio amplifier IC. This one is mostly used in nowadays home theatre systems for it’s some good features,
- Small size IC(package PENTAWATT V, almost size of regular TO220)
- Maximum voltage range (upto 44Volts Vs MAx)
- Very low harmonic and cross-over distortion.
- Suited for more reliable applications without regulated supply
- Up to 35Watts RMS driver output
- Thermal shutdown protection
This IC require less external components too, making it easier for a beginner to make this on Veroboard or Perf Board. The original circuit I got from it’s datasheet. A little modified circuit below,
This can be operated with single supply line, but that topology gives less output power, hence this bi-voltage topology is used everywhere. We need to provide +/- 12V to it. We can easily get +12V and -12V from a 12-0-12 CT step down transformer. And, as this IC doesn’t require regulated supply, we can feed voltage directly from rectifier with just a capacitor.
Well, the IC costs around 25 rupees, and together with all other materials as PCB, other parts the cost of final board doesn’t exceed 70-75 rupees.